Monday, August 9, 2010

Toddlers & Learning





For the past two weeks I have been obsessing on toddler programs, pre-schools, indoor playgrounds, community events and any program that will make learning fun and allow Marley to discover new ways to express himself. I want to find an enviorment other than "home" to play and interact with other toddlers his age. I want him to feel confident in his abilities, but at the same time learn how to have an organized playing time. I know that he is on the young side to learn how to share toys and space, but we have to start teaching these things sooner or later. Last week I took Marley to his first childrens learning gym called MY GYM. It was wonderful, because they had a curiculem that consisted mostly of Free play but in between the hour, we would break every 15minutes or so to do a group circle, sing a longs, exercises, tumbling, etc. It was so much fun to watch his face light up over the new toys, and obstacles he could climb up and down, in and out. During circle time he really did not want to sit down, I don't thin he even understood the concept. Instead Marley ran inside the circle and went aroud high fiving people. Literally, he was going to every parent in the circle saying "Hi Five" , "Hi, Five"........ The instructor was trying to conduct the activity and Marls did not care! Everybody was laughing .......and I thought at least he is being interactive and friendly. All the other parents were giving me the look like " my son did the same thing when he first started", so I didn't feel like I was looked upon as not being in control of my child. But, then again I don't want him to feel controlled, I want him to feel guided and if he feels he needs me know that I am always there.

Another cool activity I discovered were these great free activities at the Outdoor Malls in Los Angeles. These high end outdoor shopping centers are catering to families and have great Children programing on the grassy property refered to "on the green". For instance the have Mommy and Me movies, Yoga for kids, Story telling for kids, Music, etc. My favorite mall is called the Americana at brand. Last week they had a band called The Hollow Trees. The band sings folk music geared to children. It was interactive for the kids, they sang along, danced and got to make lots of animal noises. Marley loved it. I just have to figure out how to tell him that he is NOT in the band. Every song I had to wrangle him from climbing up onto the stage. We loved the band so much we followed them later that week to their other gig at the Los Feliz Public Library (which also has great free children programs). Marley even got a chance to play on the drums. It was so awesome. Not so awesome when he had to come off , but awesome nonetheless.

There's nothing like hear children laughing and dancing like no one is watching!!!

1 comment: